Tuesday, April 15, 2008

"God In There?"

Last night we had parent/teacher conferences at our school. Our preschool is one of the few in the area that have parent/teacher conferences. I teach a great group of kids whose parents are really involved. It's nice seeing parents be so involved in their child's life. In between meeting with the parents of my class I met with Gabe and Ryan's teachers.
Gabe is doing great. He has "mastered" all the skills they tested him on. He can identify all his letters and write most of them. His teachers were very impressed by this saying that there were very few in his class that could do that. I thought that was odd because he's known his letters since he was 3. He also can identify all his numbers and his shapes. He even knows what a pentagon and a hexagon are. His teachers were really surprised at this because they haven't really worked on those shapes. I was telling Matt this last night while we were in bed, and we got into a debate over what the difference between a pentagon and a hexagon were. He thought a pentagon had 4 sides and a hexagon had 5 sides, and I said a pentagon had 5 sides and a hexagon had six sides. I actually had to get out of bed and "google" the shapes to settle the debate. It was pretty funny! Oh and I was right, by the way! :) So Gabe is doing great in class and we're so proud of him!


Pentagon

Hexagon

I also talked to Ryan's teachers about how he's doing in school. You have to know that at the beginning of the year, I had serious doubts about how Ryan was going to do at school. He cried every time I dropped him off. If he ever saw me he would start crying. And he barely talked. He is a completely different child now. He participates in class, he loves to sing. And he's so excited to go to school. He loves his teachers. I have to say, that his teachers are the best! They are so patient and they really really love those kids. So at the conference his teachers told me he was doing great. When they tested him on his skills he really wasn't interested. His new answer for everything is "I no no" (I don't know). So he didn't really do well on his evaluation, which his teacher and I aren't too concerned about. He's only two! Anyway, she was asking him his shapes when she pointed to a heart. He wouldn't tell her what it was so she told him, "It's a heart." And this is the part that absolutely melts me. He looked up at her and said, "God in there?" Is that not the sweetest thing you've ever heard?!? His teacher said she just about lost it when he said that, and I had tears in my eyes when she told me. He is so precious!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have tears in my eyes right now after reading that! Your boys are so precious!!